The Statistics and Pharmacometrics Special Interest Group (SxP) was named in 2016 and is chartered by both the American Statistical Association (ASA) and International Society of Pharmacometrics (ISoP). This Interest Group promotes collaboration between Statisticians and Pharmacometricians, to enable each discipline to learn and grow from the other and to develop innovative approaches to model informed drug development.
The first SXP webinar Introduction to MBMA was organized by Marion Bouillon-Pichault and Matt Zierhut of the MBMA subgroup and held on 26th January 12:00-13:30 EST (17:00-18:30 GMT). The webinar enabled attendees to understand what MBMA is and presented some examples showing the impact it can have in drug development and other critical business decisions. It was a very well attended session with over 250 engaged attendees – please click HERE to view a recording of the presentation. A log of the questions and discussion are posted HERE!
Goals of the SIG
Specifically, the goals of the Interest Group are to:
- Provide educational opportunities to learn about Statistics and Pharmacometrics
- Encourage career growth and mentoring for people new in the field
- Promote cross-disciplinary methodology research and publications, and to encourage cross participation at conferences
- Create best practices leveraging both disciplines
- Provide opportunities to discuss computing platforms and share code
Objectives of the SIG
The objectives of the group are to
- Promote collaboration between Pharmacometricians and Biostatisticians by
a. Initiating communication with statisticians about PK/PD principles and terminology and about the complexities and nuances of PK/PD data. Educate statisticians in the utility of pharmacometric modeling.
b. Initiating communication with Pharmacometricians about statistical principles, methodology and terminology.
c. Facilitating discussions with both groups for how each interprets their own roles. Explain how each other think and why.
- Encourage statisticians to seek careers in Pharmacometrics.
- Bridge the gap between methodology published in Pharmacometrics journals with methodology published in statistical journals.
- Provide new forums or take advantage of existing forums for initiating scientific discourse between the disciplines.
The Leadership of this SIG is comprised of members of both ISoP and the ASA.
Co-chairs: Mike K Smith and Stacey Tannenbaum.
- Gary Rosner
- Alfred Balch
- Jonathan French
- Efthymios Manolis
- Jingtao Wu
- Robert Bies
- Bret Musser
- Siv Jönsson
- Vijay Ivaturi
- Matt Zierhut
- Tim Waterhouse
- Erin Dombrowsky
- Hao Zhu
- Lei Nie
- Alice Zong
- Luke Fostvedt
- Malidi Ahamadi
A complete website for this special interest group, hosted by the ASA, is available here.
A discussion forum with a category for topics specific to this joint Special Interest Group forum, and hosted by ISoP, has been created here. The goal of the discussion forum is to facilitate a civilized discourse between statisticians and pharmacometricians for topics of mutual interest.
Presentation material and links: https://community.amstat.org/sxp/ourlibrary
Membership in the Interest Group is open to anyone interested in establishing collaborations between statisticians and pharmacometricians. Membership in ASA or ISoP is not required. There are no dues.